In today’s world, heart problems and heart attacks are becoming increasingly common, affecting even younger individuals in their 30s and 40s. The root causes of these issues often lie in our dietary choices and lifestyles. However, Ayurveda offers effective ways to prevent and manage high cholesterol, which is a key contributor to heart-related ailments.
Ayurveda, an ancient system of natural healing, emphasizes a holistic approach to well-being. It relies on the use of specific herbs, dietary adjustments, and lifestyle practices to maintain a healthy heart. By understanding and incorporating Ayurvedic principles into our lives, we can take proactive steps to protect our heart health and reduce the risk of heart-related problems.
Let’s delve deeper into these Ayurvedic methods for achieving a healthier heart.
What is High Cholesterol and what is Its Causes?
High cholesterol refers to a condition where there is an elevated level of cholesterol in the bloodstream. This condition increases the risk of heart-related problems by affecting the heart’s function. Cholesterol is a waxy substance essential for building healthy cells, producing Vitamin D, and creating hormones. When fatty deposits accumulate in blood vessels, they can block arteries, disrupting the heart’s ability to pump blood adequately, which may lead to a heart attack.
High cholesterol typically doesn’t present noticeable symptoms. Instead, it often serves as an indicator of potential heart issues. Blood tests are the primary way to determine whether cholesterol levels are within a healthy range. However, certain unhealthy habits, lifestyle choices, and dietary practices can contribute to this significant health concern.
According to Ayurveda, imbalances in Kapha and Vata Dosha are responsible for high cholesterol. To address this issue and prevent severe health complications, an Ayurvedic approach is recommended. This approach focuses on addressing the root cause of the condition, offering side-effect-free treatment, and potentially reversing the disease. Natural remedies can be highly beneficial, providing desired and successful results
Ayurclinic Approach to Managing Cholesterol Levels
Ayurclinic offers a holistic and time-tested approach to managing cholesterol levels, emphasizing the importance of balance and overall well-being.
- Deepana and Pachana: The first stage of Panchakarma involves taking specific herbal preparations and making lifestyle and diet changes known as Deepana and Pachana. Deepana means stimulating digestion and it involves taking herbs or doing things to improve Agni (digestive and metabolic fire). Pachana means burning, where specific herbal preparations, diet, and lifestyle help to burn the toxins and reduce the inflammation that happens from the accumulation of toxins so that the body can handle to eliminate the toxins.
- Langhana (body lightening therapy): This therapy induces lightness in the body through fasting therapy. Vamana, Virechana, and Basti (Lekhana and Medohara basti) are also the methods that do Langhana by removing kapha and medas.
- Udwarthana: In this type of therapy, herbal powders are used to massage over body and thus help in reducing excess fat.
- Virechana: is a therapeutic procedure used in Ayurveda. It is a form of Panchakarma, which is a set of detoxification and rejuvenation therapies. Virechana specifically focuses on cleansing and eliminating excess Pitta dosha from the body. Pitta dosha is believed to be responsible for various metabolic processes in the body, including cholesterol metabolism.
- Ashwagandha for high cholesterol: Ashwagandha is a potent herb that is an excellent natural remedy for high cholesterol and very effective in lowering blood sugar levels and maintaining a healthy weight by promoting metabolism. It also prevents the accumulation of fats by reducing bile secretion which in turn leads to less fat being digested. Besides, it also reduces anxiety and stress-related disorders like depression through its calming effect which further improves our quality of life.
Once the cholesterol levels are lessened, Panchakarma treatments are advised to eliminate the morbid Doshas which are responsible for the accumulation of cholesterol in the body. This helps in preventing further accumulation of cholesterol.
Optimal Diet Choices for Managing High Cholesterol
- Fresh Fruits: Incorporating fresh fruits into your diet is an excellent way to obtain a wealth of nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and fiber. Including fresh fruits in your meals can help regulate cholesterol production in the liver. Fruits such as apples, grapes, pears, and citrus varieties contain Pectin, a substance known for reducing cholesterol levels. Additionally, many fruits boast a high content of antioxidants, which contribute to the prevention of heart-related diseases.
- Avocado: This nutrient-rich fruit aids in reducing bad cholesterol levels while increasing the presence of good cholesterol in the body.
- Berries: Both blueberries and strawberries are effective in lowering bad cholesterol levels and enhancing the levels of good cholesterol in the body.
- Leafy Greens: Dark, leafy vegetables are heart-healthy choices. Spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage contain carotenoids, which reduce the risk of heart-related disorders. Furthermore, they aid in removing excess cholesterol from the body.
Meditation to Manage Cholesterol Levels
Meditation serves as a holistic practice aimed at revitalizing the body, mind, and spirit. Its primary purpose is to alleviate both physical and mental stress. While some may perceive meditation as a challenging endeavor due to the need to maintain a single posture for an extended period, this is not entirely accurate.
Even if you engage in it for just five minutes, that’s perfectly fine, as it means that, for at least five minutes, your body and mind experience a state of calm. With consistent practice, you can gradually achieve your desired objectives. Additionally, you’ll find yourself better equipped to ward off negative thoughts and bestow a soothing effect upon both your body and mind
Managing cholesterol levels through Ayurveda is not only about addressing symptoms but also about understanding and rectifying the root causes. We at Ayurclinic Melbourne aim to work on the underlying pathology of the disease and offer various Ayurveda therapies and procedures to help eliminate the root cause of the problem.
For those requiring deeper detoxification, Panchakarma therapies are also available. Regular monitoring combined with optimal diet choices and stress management techniques are essential in managing cholesterol levels and safeguarding your health.
To know more about Ayurveda Treatment For Cholesterol, Call our experts at +61 3 9078 2940 and book an online consultation with us.