Coeliac disease is a long-term health problem that happens when you eat foods with gluten, like wheat, barley, and rye. When people with coeliac disease eat gluten, their body’s defences system acts strangely, hurting their small intestine. This can lead to problems like tummy pain, tiredness, and not getting enough nutrients from food. The main treatment for coeliac disease is to always eat food that doesn’t have gluten, which can make the symptoms go away and let the intestine heal. It’s important to find coeliac disease early and stick to a gluten-free diet to stay healthy.
Causes of Coeliac disease
The main cause of coeliac disease is genetics. It tends to run in families, so if someone in your family has it, you’re at a higher risk. When you have the genes that make you prone to coeliac disease and you eat gluten-containing foods, your immune system reacts abnormally, damaging your small intestine over time. Certain factors, like viral infections or stressful events, might trigger the disease in people who have the genetic predisposition. However, the primary cause remains the combination of genetic susceptibility and gluten consumption.
Symptoms of Coeliac disease
Children with coeliac disease may have more symptoms that talk about digestive issues than adults. These signs may include:
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Feeling very tired and weak
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Pale or foul-smelling stools
- Nausea and vomiting
- Failure to thrive for infants
- Damage to tooth enamel
- Weight loss
- Short stature (short height)
- Delayed puberty
In adults, the signs are mostly related to issues with the digestive system. These include:
- Weight loss
- Bloating and gas
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Nausea and vomiting
Other signs which are not related to the digestive system in adults may include:
- Anaemia, usually due to the iron deficiency
- Loss of bone density
- Mouth ulcers
- Severe headaches and fatigue
- Bone or joint pain
- Reduced functioning of the spleen
- Itchy or blistery skin rashes
Ayurvedic approach in managing Coeliac disease
In Ayurveda, Coeliac disease is seen as a disturbance in the digestive system. According to Ayurvedic point of view “coeliac disease” is known as “Grahani” that causes imbalance in the Agni. Mainly Pitta, Kapha, & Vata Dosha are involved in this disease. Ayurvedic practitioners focus on restoring balance by recommending a gluten-free diet and using herbal remedies to soothe the digestive tract and reduce inflammation. Additionally, Ayurveda emphasizes individualized treatment plans based on a person’s unique constitution (Dosha) to address underlying imbalances.
Lifestyle modifications and stress management techniques are often incorporated to promote overall well-being and digestive health. It’s important to consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner for personalized guidance and treatment.
Ayurclinic Key take away
Ayurclinic takes a comprehensive and patient-centred approach to Coeliac Disease. First of all Ayurvedic treatment for Coeliac disease is aimed at correcting the immune system. Starting with proper detoxification of the body include various Panchakarma procedures to remove the toxins from the body like Vaman, Virechan, Asthapana or Niruham (herbal enema), Anuvaasan and Nasyam.
Our treatment approach involves two key aspects:
- Dietary Management: Ayurclinic recognizes the critical role of diet in managing Coeliac Disease. We provide personalized dietary guidance, helping patients identify and avoid gluten-containing foods that trigger symptoms. Our tailored approach ensures that individuals with Coeliac Disease can enjoy a safe and gluten-free diet while maintaining proper nutrition.
- Herbal Support: Ayurclinic formulates herbal remedies to support gut health and alleviate digestive issues commonly associated with Coeliac Disease. These natural remedies are designed to reduce inflammation, promote healing of the intestinal lining, and improve overall digestion.
- Treatment with mild Herbal Enema also aims at removing the toxins and opening circulation to loosen impurities embedded in the tissues
- Ayurveda therapies like Abhyanga or regular massage will help to improve circulation in the body
- Panchakarma treatments are suggested to deeply cleanse the body of impurities. Specific Panchakarma Therapy specially ‘Ksheer-Vasti’ along with ‘Deepan’ (Stimulating digestive Fire through fasting) and ‘Pachana’ (digestion capacity increased through Herbal medication) is highly useful in treating this condition.
- Practice yoga and pranayama to support immune function by avoiding Avoid excess mental stress and keeping your mind relaxed
Diet and Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid heavy and oily foods containing gluten.
- Avoid Tea, coffee and caffeine as they contain ingredients that can stimulate the intestines and cause diarrhoea
- Regularly drink freshly prepared buttermilk spiced with ginger, cumin and curry leaves. This improves Agni and enhances absorption.
- Drink boiled water with cumin, coriander seeds and ginger powder
- Eat foods that are light and easily digestible such as green gram soups, rice porridge, etc.
- Eat pomegranate and bale fruit regularly.
If you or someone you know is suffering from coeliac disease, it’s time to take action and seek help from a qualified Ayurvedic doctor. At Ayurclinic Melbourne, we are committed in providing personalized treatment plans that address the unique needs of each patient.
Our team of Ayurvedic doctors has years of experience in treating patients with Coeliac disease and can guide you towards a healthier and happier life.
So don’t wait any longer, schedule an online consultation with us today and start your journey towards a healthier tomorrow.