Ayurveda is merely not about scriptures and herbs. It is a science and wisdom that was developed based on our vital life force. Ayurveda looks at diseases through an entirely different perspective and believes in addressing the root cause rather than the symptom.
Now let us have a look at how to manage Parkinson’s disease through Ayurveda.
Parkinson’s disease is also referred to as “The Shaking Palsy,” a severe nerve condition defined by reduced muscle strength, a curved posture, and a propulsive, festinate movement (deficiency of dopamine in the basal ganglia circuit leading to motor deficits).
Parkinson’s disease is a neurological disorder that eventually results in the failure and death of brain cells. Dopamine-producing brain cells are affected by the illness. Due to lack of dopamine, Parkinson’s disease is characterised by movement impairments.
Signs and Symptoms
The development of Parkinsons disease and the degree of damage may vary in individuals. Most people with Parkinsons disease live long productive lives, whereas some others become disabled more quickly. As per the population repost, Adult-onset Parkinsons disease is the most common, but early-onset Parkinsons disease (onset between 21-40 years), and juvenile-onset Parkinsons disease (onset before age 21) also do exist.
Symptoms often begin on one side of the body or even in one limb on one side of the body. As the disease progresses, it eventually affects both the sides. However, the symptoms may still be more severe on one side than on the other.
Some common symptoms are as follows
- Tremor in hands, arms, legs, jaw, or head
- Muscle stiffness
- Slowed movements
- Impaired balance and coordination, sometimes leading to falls
- Loss of automatic movements
- Depressionand other emotional changes
- Difficulty in swallowing, chewing, and speaking
Experts have not been able to find a specific set of causes that leads to Parkinson’s disease. But through research and observation researchers were able to narrow down some common factors that may lead to this condition. They are as follows;
- Certain genes types
- environmental factors
- Low dopamine levels
- Low norepinephrine levels
- The presence of Lewy bodies
Ayurveda Management for Parkinson’s disease
According to Ayurvedic viewpoint Parkinson’s illness is an aggravated Vata condition. In addition to genetic susceptibility, the disease is brought on by factors that promoting the impairments of particular neurons present in the body. Ayurveda was found to be an effective treatment for patients with Parkinsons disease. Also the integrated approach to the prevention and treatment of illness in Ayurveda with certain Ayurveda therapies maintain or re-establish the harmony between the mind, body, and forces of nature.
In Ayurveda, Parkinson’s syndrome is called Kambavata. The treatment of Kampavata involves the use of Ayurveda herbal preparations meant for both internal and external administration .The major goal is to prevent and reverse the vata imbalance. Following treatments are also given depending on the patient’s condition. Patients are also advised to follow strict by diet and lifestyle regulations.
Our Ayurvedic procedures include:
- Abhyanga is the Sanskrit word for massage. Certain ayurvedic and herbal oils are extremely used for Ayurvedic massages. This Ayurvedic massage are very beneficial for Parkinson’s patients and are administered according to the proper methods of the ayurvedic texts
- Shiro Abhyanga Therapy is the most popular ayurvedic Indian head massage(soothing massage for the head, neck and shoulder) for relieving stress and fatigue.
- Shareera Abhyanga – This is an ayurvedic body massage which is extremely beneficial in relaxing the whole body and maintaining normal blood circulation that can help in complete recovery.
- Shiro Dhara – is the technique of pouring medicated liquids over the head. It helps in rejuvenating the brain and nervous system.
- Virechana – is basically a Purgative therapy. The toxins that are deposited in the body is eliminated from body through this procedure. This method is most commonly used to manage Pitta disorders within the body.
- Basti – is a form of Enema therapy in Panchakarma technique. The medicated oil therapy purifies the colon where the primary location of Vata nourishes the body. This is considered as the best natural treatment for Parkinsons disease
- Swedana therapy – This is effective in bringing the brain chemicals to normal levels.
- Sarvangadara therapy – This is done through the application of small steam-heated bundles of herbs tied in cotton bags and pressed gently on aching parts of the body.
- Nasya therapy – Nasya purifies and removes vitiated doshas through the nasal openings. The nasal treatment can be done with the help of medicated powders, medicinal fumes, nasal oil or medicated juice.
- Yoga practices like NadiShodhana pranayama is highly beneficial for maintaining healthy brain and respiratory activities. This helps to overcome the symptoms by managing your internal energies, and providing you with better relaxation thereby reducing stress or anxiety. Nadi Shodhana pranayama is very effective in balancing Vata, pitta, and Kapha.Various neural tonics are also administered internally for strengthening the nervous system and brain functions.
These procedures are always supported by a healthy diet. A healthy diet always makes the body healthier. It is advisable to maintain a good diet that pacifies the vata.
At Ayurclinic, Melbourne, we offer exclusive ayurvedic treatment for Parkinson’s disease by following a patient centric approach with our personalized ayurvedic therapies that are tailor made for each individual according to the respective body composition.
Quality of life can be improved excessively with our custom made Ayurveda therapies. Come to us and our practitioners could guide you through the path to your wellness. To know more about Parkinson’s disease treatment method and treatment cost, book an appointment now.