Gastritis and Ayurveda
By Dr Sajimon George BAMS, AAA, ATMS
According to Ayurveda Gastritis is the irritation of the stomach lining that can cause stomach pain, ulcers and other health complications. In Ayurveda gastritis is called urdhvaga amlapitta. It occurs due to the aggravation of pitta dosha. Any aggravation in the pitta dosha affects the digestive fire of the body causing toxins to accumulate and increase the level of gases in the stomach causing gastritis.
Gastritis is of several types depending upon factors such as nature of inflammation, and condition of the glands they are:
- Chronic Gastritis
- Acute Gastritis
- And Atrophic Gastritis
- Unhealthy and irregular eating habits
- Poor digestion
- Eating badly combined food
- Weak natural resistance and immunity
- Intake of improperly cooked foods
- Excessive intake of tea, coffee and alcohol
- Worry, anxiety and tension
- Use of certain drugs, acids and substances
- Disruption of body’s natural biological rhythm
- Loss of appetite
- Pain and discomfort in stomach
- Coated tongue
- Foul breath and bad taste in the mouth
- Increased flow of saliva in the mouth
- Scanty urination
- Feeling of uneasiness
- Hiccups and burping
- Changes in weight in certain conditions
- Changes in consistency of stools
Foods that aggravate gastritis
- Foods with High fat
- Processed food
- carbonated drinks and caffeine
- over-consumption of citrus fruits like pineapple and grapefruit
- overly Hot or spicy food
- Lack of foods containing vitamin B12 in your diet
Herbs for gastritis
- Amla – Indian gooseberry is one of the best herbs for gastritis and various other digestive diseases
- Ginger – Ginger has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it one of the best Ayurvedic herbs for gastritis
- Fennel – Fennel is one of the most popular gastritis herbal remedies. It cures indigestion and relieves acidity.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera helps reduce inflammation and pacify Pitta dosha, relieving gastritis symptoms.
- Cardamom – Cardamom is a great remedy for gastritis and acid reflux.
Ayurvedic gastritis treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment of gastritis include natural recommendations to remove and prevent toxin accumulation.
- Daily treatment programs are carried out that include massage, heat treatments and mild herbal enemas are given
- Herbal oil massages are given with specific oils that is individually prepared for the patient’s condition.
- Certain changes in diet and lifestyle routines are recommended
- Also yoga and meditation routines are carried out and recommended to enhance the body’s ability to recover from stress.