A fistula, or Bhagandara in Ayurveda, is an abnormal connection or passageway connecting two organs or vessels that do not usually connect in the body. There are around 50,000-100,000 new cases of fistulas on average every year and they can cause serious health problems if left untreated.
Generic treatments for fistulas can be very invasive however if you are suffering from a fistula then you may want to consider an Ayurvedic treatment instead. Here at Ayur Clinic, our experienced team are specialists in Ayurveda in Melbourne. We know that a more holistic approach can be just as effective but less invasive than common medical process used to treat fistulas and a range of other health conditions.
Where do fistulas develop?
A fistula develops when an organ becomes inflamed or injured. They may develop all over the body with common Fistulas often being located around the anus: these are called perianal fistulas.
Fistulas may also occur in:
- The urinary tract
- Between the rectum and vagina
- Between the intestine an skin
- Between the intestine and bladder
- In the digestive tract
What causes a fistula?
Fistulas develop when an organ is inflamed or injured so it is common for them to form as a result of an injury or after surgery. Fistulas are also associated with other diseases and commonly develop in individuals suffering with:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn’s disease)
- Following surgery
- Following radiation therapy for cancer
- Sexually transmitted diseases
What are the symptoms of a fistula?
Fistulas can be hard to diagnose as symptoms vary drastically, depending on where in the body the fistula has formed. In some cases the patient may experience very few or no symptoms at all. However common warning symptoms often include: continual fluid and waste leakage through the anus, ongoing rectal pain or swelling, re -occurring urinary tract infections and worsening of the initial ongoing disease.
Treating fistulas with Ayurveda
Common treatments for fistula can be very invasive however as naturopath experts in Melbourne here at Ayur Clinic, we take a less conventional approach to treating fistula which has proved to be very effective.
Kshar Sutra fistula treatment
Kshar Sutra (medicated thread therapy) is a minimally invasive Ayurvedic treatment that is primarily used for treating Fistula. At Ayur Clinic our dedicated team are experts at naturopath in Melbourne and have years of experience in advanced Ayurvedic practises such as Kshar Sutra treatment. Here is a brief breakdown of the Kshar Sutra process:
- The Kshar Sutra is generally prepared by coating surgical linen thread with Snuhi latex (Euphorbia neriifolia) which is an Ayurvedic herb.
- This is reapplied a few times. After that another medicine is applied called Apamarga Kshara or Achyranthes aspera which is also herbally derived.
- After this Haridra Churna, a turmeric powder, is applied.
- This particular treatment is minimally invasive, involving inserting a probe into the fistula with the Kshar Sutra treatment on it while the patient is anathesiased.
- The patient may be given certain herbs before the treatment such as; Kadali Kshar, Nimb Kshar and Snuhi Ksheer.
- A small cut is made and the surgical gauge is tied around the fistula allowing the fistula to drain through the kshar sutra itself. The Kshar Sutra gradually cuts through the fistula and its antibacterial properties mean that the Fistula simultaneously heals itself.
Treatments for external fistulas
In the case of external fistulas, an enteral diet may be prescribed. This is where solid food is replaced with food in its liquid form instead. This can help the fistula to heal and close as there is no solid food passing through it.
Contact our team of Ayurvedic specialists in Melbourne today
If you are suffering from a fistula and are looking for an Ayurvedic treatment then please contact our experienced team of professionals at Ayur Clinic today. We are specialists in Ayurveda in Melbourne and are able to offer a range of naturopathic treatments for Fistulas and a range of other health conditions.