Tonsillitis and Homeopathy
Tonsillitis and Homeopathy – Two masses of soft tissue at either sides of the back of our throat, collection of lymphoid cells are the tonsils, situated specifically facing the aero digestive tract. The most commonly referred to tonsils are the palatine ones. These immuno competent organs are the first line of defence to the disease causing substances ingested or inhaled.
Inflammation of the tonsils is called tonsillitis.
- Pathogens – streptococcus A bacteria, coxsackie virus, cytomegalovirus, adenovirus.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Mal nourishment
- Poor general health
- In diseases like scarlet fever and upper respiratory tract infections.
The disease is common in children below 10yrs of age due to not fully developed immune mechanism of the body.
Infection usually spread by droplet and dust in areas of overcrowding and poor ventilation.
Symptoms and presentation
Tonsillitis occurs in three stages:
- Sub acute
The main symptom is the swelling of the tonsils, sometimes severe enough to block the airways. Other symptoms include:
- Throat pain
- Tender glands in the neck
- Fever ,chills
- Hoarse voice
- Difficult or painful swallowing
- Bad breadth(halitosis)
- Loss of appetite
- Occasionally headache, nausea, vomiting.
Usually a look at the throat is enough to establish the diagnosis of an inflamed tonsil and an enlarged one, but lab investigations enable to establish the accurate causation which in cases is essential to determine.
- Have fluid food to avoid pain and gagging
- Warm water gargle
- Drink warm fluids if it eases the pain
Homoeopathic therapeutic management
Homoeopathic philosophy believes in enhancing the body’s own immune system since the disease is not considered to be limited to a single organ but of the entire organism,a disharmony in the constitution of the individual which makes him susceptible to reduced immune response and hence susceptible to infection, tonsillitis being one of them depending on the most vulnerable organ presented to the infection. So a holistic approach is made to treat the infection analysing all the factors leading to the increased susceptibility of the organism, so that once the vulnerability is removed the body would be healthy enough to render itself immune to infections.
When analysing the factors leading to increased susceptibility the inherent factors of miasms play an important part.
Tonsillitis presents all the miasmatic stages which in turn lead to specific antimiasmatic treatment through indicated medicines.
- Sudden attack with redness and pain coming in after cold food or drinks, presenting often with fever, present as the psoric miasm .
- Enlarged painful tonsils without suppuration (pus) have psychotic miasm in the background.
- Tonsils with pus pockets, bad breath, indurations, ulcerations and rapid spread ,involving the ears too present with syphilitic and tubercular miasms, tubercular especially when they present as recurrent chronic attacks.
Considering all these causative factors and different type of presentations the most suitable indicated remedy is selected to restore health.
The most commonly indicated remedies are alumina, baryta carb, belladonna, hepar sulph, lachesis, lac caninum, mercurius solubis, silicea to name a few.Homoeopathic medicines help not only during the infected stage but also during the periods of health to prevent future recurrence of the inflammation.