Ayurvedic diet for summer
Summer is the time when your body heats up and pitta is highly aggravated. Even Vata and Kapha body types suffer from heat and Your body dries out totally if you are of Pitta constitution. Irritability, heartburn, skin eruptions and stomach acid are the signs of aggravated Pitta.
Cooling foods in summer :
- It is natural to grab a cold drink to pacify a hot day. Cool and room temperature liquids help to hydrate the body and flush the toxins out of the body. But ice cold liquids give the opposite effect. It kills the digestive fire inside the body and disturbs the digestion process. Carbonated drinks also gives the same effect. SO it is wise to drink to drink a lot of room temperature water throughout the day to prevent the body from being dehydrated.
- Take some herbal teas as beverages.
- It is better to avoid sour, salty and spicy foods
- Add more of sweet and astringent taste. Take a lot of sweet, nourishing full ripe fruits like mango, cherry, grape, melons, sweet pineapple. They are nourishing and cool for summer.
- In Veggies add more of zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, cucumber, bitter guard and cluster beans. Peas, potatoes, sprouts, squash, lettuce, beet are also a wise choice.
- Dairy products also help to balance the heat of pitta.
- Mint, fennel, coriander, are some of the spices that can be added as coolants in diet.
- Wheat, rice, barley and basmati rice are the cooling grains.
- As for oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil have cooling properties.
- Bottle guard and pumpkin help to hydrate the body greatly.
Apart from food, get time to exercise and meditation to flush out toxins from body and mind. Take adequate rest, spend some time with nature and enjoy this summer.
Contact us today for more information!