Fever Ayurveda Treatment
By Dr Sajimon George BAMS, AAA, ATMS
According to Ayurveda, a disturbance in the regulation of body temperature is called jwara (fever). According to Ayurveda, the generator of the bodily temperature is located in the forehead. Fever can either be a disease or a symptom of another disease. Fever as a disease is classified into eight categories in Ayurveda called Aghantuja, Vata, Pitta, Kapha, Pitta-Kapha, Vata-Pitta, Vata-Kapha and Vata-Pitta-Kapha.
Ayurvedic rules for fever management
- Consuming light foods or fasting is highly recommended for all types of fevers
- Warm water is prescribed to drink
- Warm liquid diets including barley and vegetable soup is prescribed
- Steamed vegetables with little or no spices in them
- Foods that are difficult to digest such as diary, oily foods, sweets, spicy foods should be avoided.
- Fruits and fruit juices are prescribed especially oranges because of its rich content of vitamin c which increases resistance to infections.
- Rice starch is a highly recommended remedy to flush out toxins and increase urination.
Causes of fever
There could be various reasons that contribute to causing fever. Usually, Fever is caused as a response to an infection causing the body to raise its temperature. Extreme heat or sun exposure can also lead for us to run a fever. Some medications prescribed for other diseases can also cause fever as a side effect.
Symptoms of fever
- Chills and shivers
- Body pain
- High temperature
Useful herbs in treating fever
- Garlic – acts as a natural remedy for cold and fever because of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Holy basil – it is an excellent antibiotic and germicidal and protects the body from all infections including cold and fever.
- Ginger – it is the quintessential herb for its anti-bacterial and fungal properties and its fever curing powers.
- Honey – honey has anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties. It is a very nourishing food to have during cold and fever.
- Fenugreek – it has healing compounds that bring down fever and alleviates infections
- Coriander – it is natural immune booster that combats cold and fever
- Cinnamon – it is a natural antibiotic that can treat cough, cold and flu.
Ayurveda treatment for fever
In Ayurveda fever is treated according to the types classified as:
- vataja jwara (seasonal fever of monsoon) – herbal decoctions, expressed juices and rubbing the body with clarified butter is also prescribed during certain conditions.
- piitaja jawara (seasonal fever of autumn) – herbal decoctions, cooling drugs, cold infused drugs and gargles prepared with herbs are used to treat pittaja fever.
- kaphaja jawara (seasonal fever of spring) – herbal mixtures, pastes and decoctions are used to treat kaphaja fever.