Ayurveda for lower back pain
Low back pain is the most common chronic pain disorders. It is characterized by consistent pain followed by numbness or burning sensation down the legs. Ayurveda names the low back pain as kateegraham/ prishtasoola. According to Ayurveda, low back pain is caused by the imbalance of doshas.
Each dosha has specific functions in human body. Vata governs the pelvic area, Pitta governs navel area while Kapha takes care of chest area. The metabolic process of bones is associated with Vata dosha. It is responsible for all types of movement in body. Pain is the result of impediment in the movement. So naturally any sort of pain is associated with Vata dosha. Low back pain is purely the aggravation of vata dosha.
Low back pain is often a result of poor posture, overweight, spinal infections, sedentary lifestyle, extreme stress, strain of muscles or ligaments in the area. The individual is diagnosed completely and their physical constitution is found. The treatment plan is often decided according to the intensity, duration and nature of the disease. It aims at
- removing the toxins from minute channels of the body,
- improving the digestive power and
- balancing the aggravated dosha
The treatment plan generally prescribes both internal and external medications.
- Internal - Herbs that cleanse, nourish and balance the vitiated dosha.
- External therapies like -
- - Abhyangam - Whole body massage with warm oil. Revitalizes the tissues.
- - Basti - medicated enema
- - Dhanyamla dara / Sneha Dhara - pouring warm liquids continuously on affected area. It reduces swelling and muscle spasm. Effective in pain relief
- - Pizhichil - squeezing warm oil while being massaged gently.
- - Njavarakizhi - rejuvenation treatment of applying boluses of cooked rice tied in muslin bags. It prevents degeneration of discs and strengthens muscles.
- - Elakkizhi - Boluses of medicated herbs applied all over body.
- - Kativasti - a tank prepared with medical paste is placed on lower back and a warm medicated oil is poured. It nourishes the disc.
- Some yogasanas also helps to relieve from pain
The treatment plan is customized according to the needs of each patient. Try the natural treatment for low back pain and say goodbye to the long history of your back pain.