Candida and Ayurveda
By Dr Sajimon George BAMS, AAA, ATMS
Candida is a commonly found skin problem and is thoroughly curable with proven Ayurveda treatments.
At, Ayurclinic, many people have found a permanent solution and cure for Candida. You are at Ayurclinic and you are in right place to know more about Candida.
Candida is a genus of yeasts which will cause the fungal infections. Candida is a fungus which normally presents on the human skin and also present in mucous membranes such as the vagina, mouth, and rectum.
In a later stage of Candida, the infection can travel through the bloodstream and will affect the throat, intestines, and heart valves as well. Candida turns in to the infectious agent when there is some change in the body environment that allows it to grow out of control. In results overgrowth of yeast particularly in warm and moist areas.
Facts about Candida
- A candida infection commonly occurs in warm and moist body areas, like underarms.
- In babies particularly, mouth and diaper areas.
- Vaginal yeast infection, the most common form of vaginitis is often considered as vaginal Candidiasis.
- In adults, a yeast infection occurs around dentures, nailbeds, skin folds under the breast and lower abdomen, and beneath other skin folds. Most of these candida infections are superficial and can be easily clear up with treatment.
- Yeast infections that can be a sign of any serious diseases such as leukemia, diabetes, or AIDS.
Causes of Candida
- Most of the time, candida infections of the mouth, skin, and vagina occur without any reasons.
- Antibiotics-The most common cause of infection may be the use of antibiotics that destroy beneficial, micro-organisms in the body, allowing candida to multiply in their place. In results, the condition is known as candidiasis moniliasis.
- A high sugar diet - A diet rich in sugar works to depress your immune system, allowing the Candida yeast to multiply.
- Chronic Stress- A chronic stress that depresses the immune system and raises blood sugar level and causes candida.
- Candida albicans infections of the mouth most often develop in people with diseases such as cancer and AIDS.
- Poor diets, such as consuming more sugary foods.
- Hormonal imbalance near your menstrual cycle.
- Candida infection of the penis can occur from sexual intercourse with an infected partner.
Symptoms of Candida infection
- Respiratory system: rhinitis, sneezing and/or wheezing, canker sores, sore throat, congestion, nagging cough, clogged sinuses, burning tongue, white spots on the tongue and in the mouth.
- Central nervous system: mood swings, depression, memory loss, poor concentration, anxiety, irritability, panic, ‘spaced-out’ feelings, autism, hyperactivity and attention deficit disorders.
- Skin: acne, athlete’s foot, eczema, psoriasis and general ‘itchiness’.
- Urogenital problems: rectal itching, impotence, prostatitis, vaginitis, kidney and bladder infections, urinary frequency and urgency.
- Menstrual abnormalities: premenstrual tension, irregular menstruation, infertility, and endometriosis.
- Gastrointestinal system: constipation, diarrhea, colitis, abdominal pain, persistent heartburn, intestinal gas, bloating, nausea, irritable bowel syndrome, and bad breath.
- Other systemic symptoms: headaches, eye disorders, muscle pain and weakness, joint pain and stiffness, numbness in the face or extremities, tingling sensations, night sweats, extreme chronic fatigue, food allergy or intolerances, bread or alcohol, sensitivity to perfume and chemicals, arthritis, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, adrenal problems, and endocarditis.
Ayurvedic approach for Candida
In Ayurveda, it is a thumb rule to diagnose and understand the root cause of the problem before getting into the treatment phase.
Here at, Ayurclinic, we always follow the traditional and proven methods to cure Candida.
Every time during the diagnose and initial examination phase, all the traditional procedures in Ayurveda are followed by properly understanding the patient’s Dosha type.
Candida is immunity disorder which is caused by a deficiency of OJA as per Ayurveda. OJA is nothing but the substance present in the body, which gives strength, energy, vitality, improves immunity power and takes care of wellness of the body.
In simple terms, Oja is an immunity fighter which provides the energy to fight against infections. The main cause of Candida is Agnimandya that is, indigestion. Due to indigestion, accumulation of toxins (ama) occurs in the body which is the main cause of any disease. These toxins can enter the bloodstream and cause toxicity and leads to malfunction of system and disease. Accumulated toxins weaken the Vata dosha in the body and thus the cause of infections. Normally, toxins weaken all three doshas in human body i.e. Vata, pitta and kapha.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Candida
Ayurveda is a Holistic system of medicine which helps to revitalize the energies of the body with the help of ancient herbs, healthy diet and lifestyle recommendations etc.
The infection may be acute or chronic in nature but if it is untreated it may spread. There are various factors like imbalanced diet, hygiene, high usage of antibiotics, low ojas, low digestive fire, lifestyle factors and ama which can lead to Candida. Ayurveda mainly involves in reducing the body toxins and restore the immunity of the body.
As per Ayurveda candidiasis is categorized as kruchchhasadhya, meaning a disease which is curable but with rigorous efforts.
1. Restore a strong and balanced Agni for normal digestion
This is accomplished by the anti-candida diet and by using herbs and spices to reawake Agni (digestive fire). The herbal medicines are unique for every individual and are not standard for everyone.
2. Buildup Ojas— Energy and Immunity
The replenishment of ojas can be done through consuming a healthy & balanced diet which contains as minimally processed foods as much possible. Another way to increase ojas is through breathing exercises known as pranayama.
3. Terminate Candida growth through Natural Herbs and Supplementation
Subsequent to restoring Agni and ojas, various natural anti-fungal agents can be used to reduce the candida growth. It is important to realize that many strains of Candida rapidly develop resistance to both antibiotics and herbal remedies through genetic mutation and thus adopting anti-fungal agents is the best way.
Olive leaf extract which contains oleuropein is effective against Candida. Caprylic acid is very effective against enteric (intestinal) Candida. Bee propolis is often effective in combination with these two. Then Clove oil and oregano oil have shown activity against several different microbes including Candida. And Grapefruit seed extract and olive oil are also effective.
Once, Candida albicans organisms are destroyed, it releases a large number of toxic chemical substances which can cause extremely unpleasant symptoms.
So it is must to detoxify to eliminate those chemical substances. Ayurveda recommends panchakarma detoxification therapies after commencing the anti-candida diet, ojas-enhancement, and antifungal therapy.
To build strength and immunity, herbs like bala, ashwagandha, Brahmi, and gudduchi work well. Once the underlying imbalance is controlled, herbs like vidanga, neem, pomegranate, and tulsi work well in destroying the yeast.
Pippali rasayana – This enables regulation of digestive fire.
Thriphala rasayana – This is a powerful anti-oxidant. Usage of Thriphala rasayana purifies srothas or subtle channels and energizes all tissue components of the body.
Cure for Candida
Candida is a very serious health problem. There are people, they suffer from chronic fatigue, digestive problems muscle pain, mental fogginess, depression, or a weakened immune system for years together and they do have symptoms, but they are not aware of the true cause.
It is must to follow some lifestyle changes after you cure your Candida infection.
- Make sure to get the proper amount of sleep every night, stay hydrated and exercise daily, all of this will ensure regulated immunity and reduce the stress levels.
- And it is important to avoid going back to your old diet habits, avoiding sugars, carbs, and processed foods.
- Consider committing to an annual detoxification.
- And think multiple times about using an antibiotic again.
Lifestyle recommendations for Candida
- Avoid stress- Physical and mental stress aggravates Candida, so avoid and control stress level.
- Good sleep – A good sleep and rest helps to eliminate Candida. It is must to follow healthy sleep pattern.
- Regularize some moderate exercise – Moderate exercise and yoga are essential for relax and stress relief. It also helps in building a healthy immune system.
- Avoid allergens and immune weakening products - Some substances act as allergens, while others weaken immune system can lead fungal infection. It is better to avoid those allergens and immune weakening products.
“Nothing is precious in this world more than your body. The real enemy is your unhealthy lifestyle which turns your healthiest yeast into your enemy. Eat healthy and stay healthy. So that your illness will turn in to wellness.”
AYURCLINIC Services – Indian Natural Therapies
Ayurveda Homeopathy Yoga Meditation
Working with you to achieve health and wellbeing.
Call +61 3 9078 2940 to book an appointment or contact us for more information.