Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
By Dr Sajimon George BAMS, AAA, ATMS
What is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung disease that can be characterized by poor airflow to the lung and causing pathological changes in the lungs.
If not treated correctly, it keeps progressing and gets worse with time and the damage done to the lungs cannot be undone.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a group of lung diseases namely chronic bronchitis and Emphysema.
Chronic bronchitis – the airway of the lungs gets swollen or inflamed causing mucus which leads to copd.
Emphysema – a condition where the air sacs in the lungs gets damaged resulting in less intake of air causing shortness of breath.
- Constant cough for a long time
- Presence of mucus in cough
- Shortness of breath during normal everyday activities and physical exertions
- Feeling of tightness in chest area in some cases
- Blueness in lips and nails
- Swelling of ankles feet and legs.
- The main cause of COPD is smoking. People who have a history of smoking are the ones. Who are usually prone to COPD.
- Long term exposure to ling irritants and chemicals or smoke at work place.
- Genetic conditions also play a role in causing COPD.
- Some people with asthma can also develop COPD.
COPD treatment in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic treatment of copd involves use of herbal remedies in treating the condition to reduce the damage of the tissues in the lungs.
The treatments are timely so as to reduce the effect of copd on the lungs and to prevent from any further damage.
Ayurvedic Treatments aim at treating the infections in the breathing tube and widening them by reducing the inflammation or swelling to ensure proper breathing to reduce shortness of breath in the patients.
Ayurvedic Herbs for COPD
The following herbs and supplements have been used in Ayurveda for centuries to alleviate symptoms similar to COPD
- Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) – helps in relaxing the airways, improving airflow into the lungs and provides relief from the inflammation and airway constriction due to COPD.
- Turmeric – offers relief from airway restrictions and impaired lung function associated with COPD.
- Red Sage (Salvia Miltiorrhiza) – helps fight the oxidative stress underlies COPD.
- English Ivy (Hedera Helix) – an effective antioxidant, protecting the linings of blood vessels from injury.