Many times we wonder about a friend who eats a lot but doesn't put on weight, but those who eat much lesser can't drop their weight that easy !
Ayurveda defines that being overweight or underweight happens when the three doshas - Vata, Pitta and Kapha fall out of balance. Also the digestive fire or Agni should be high to carry out the proper metabolism of the body. Usually overweight is a disorder of kapha. Kapha predominant persons tend to be obese since kapha indicate heaviness. But this condition is common with other two doshas too.
When the food consumed is not processed properly, it can result in weight gain. A basic understanding of our inner system would help us greatly to tone our body in way we wish. Ayurveda is a science of life which teaches human beings to stay in alignment with nature. Changing the lifestyle and following a disciplined routine would guide you to a perfect health. Once you start marching towards perfect health routine, your extra pounds tend to shed automatically.
Eating Habits :
"You are what you eat". Ayurveda suggests the following -
- Make the mid day meals as the largest meal of the day since the digestive fire is high at noon.
- No snacks. Once a meal is taken, the energy that ensues is sufficient averagely for about three hours time. After which our body breaks the fat and utilizes for energy requirements of the body. When we snack, we don't provide an opportunity to utilize the fat, which starts storing in body.
- Eat kapha pacifying diet.
- Increase the intake of foods that enhance your digestion.
- Include all six tastes in each meal. This gives a satiated feeling for each meal even if the quantity is small. Each taste has its own benefits. Skipping any particular taste for long run causes imbalance in our system.
- Sweet - builds muscles and produces energy (sweet foods doesn't indicate artificial sweeteners. It includes whole grains, nuts, dairy, sweet fruits and legumes
- Sour - cleanse the body
- Pungent - stimulates metabolism, clears sinuses. Spices fall under this category
- Astringent - Reduce heat and pacify inflammation.
- Bitter - Detoxifies body
- Salty - Stimulates digestion and absorb nutrients.
- Physical exertion is a key to weight loss. Exert physically as much as possible. Moderate consistent exercises would also help.
- Go to bed with sun and rise with sun to get a good sleep and reduce stress.
- Ayurveda give the guidelines for daily activities called Dhinacharya. Read them here
Yoga and meditation:
- Yoga and meditation would help you connect with your inner self and keep you stay balanced emotionally. Stress plays an important role in weight gain.
An ayurvedic treatment is never universal, it is customized for each individual according to their pakrithi. The treatment
- helps to detoxify the body and regain your active metabolism through therapies.
- prescribes well planned diet is suggested to stop accumulating heaviness of kapha in body.
- includes herbal supplements and therapies also aids the pace of weight loss.
- has stress management functionalities.
According to Ayurveda, losing your extra pounds is not an isolated treatment, it is a general holistic method of following a healthy lifestyle. So the changes are permanent if we are consistent. We all know that - If we expect a change, then it is obligatory for us to change ! Let's change for good.